Monday, December 20, 2010

Flatbread

Last Friday, I went to my mom's house to learn how to make Flatbread. It's tradition that we eat this paper-thin, crunchy bread at our big family Christmas gathering and it's rather hard work. My grandma made it, then when she got too "old" my mom made it, and now it's my turn to take over the task. It's a very simple recipe and Mom was right - you get yourself into a rhythm. Roll out a piece of dough, open the oven, flip one piece, remove one piece, put in a piece. Roll out a piece of dough, open the oven....I finished about 30 or 35 pieces of flatbread in about 3 1/2 hours and Mom said it was done in record time.

I respect some traditions. I like the idea that some things get carried down through generations and I like the idea of the next person making the task even better. Mom said, "Now, imagine doing this like Grandma: without the company and conversation using an oven you had to prop shut with a broom handle because the door wouldn't stay shut on it's own." I can't imagine. My addition to this tradition is I'm always going to have someone fun with me when I make Flatbread at Christmas. My mom made it fun. She loaned me her "Every Girl Needs A Vampire" t-shirt. I didn't mind sweating so much.

I encourage everyone to find something really wonderful to adopt as "tradition" and share it with those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment